Fixing a stainless steel sheet behind a woodburner stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had tiles glued to a breeze-block pillar that was plastered. As majority of tiles have come away I have bought a 3mm sheet of stainless steel. As the wall is now uneven i have been told to use a sand and cement render before glueing the stainless steel sheet in place (using a heat resistant sealant - i think this will look better and easier than using screws). is there an easier way of smoothing the surface first?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome HungerfordMark :D :D :D

wood burners need to installed by a hetas engineer or comply with building regs and and be passed by building control
which avenue have you used

Hi Big -All - yes, the stove was installed by a qualified engineer etc...but the wall behind was tiled etc...

Your problem lies in the temperatures involved; only a quality cement powder adhesive not tub ready mix is suitable (up to 150 degrees) & maybe why your tiles failed. Additionally, ordinary gypsum plaster won’t withstand regular exposure to more than 49 degrees, it cracks & falls off. You need a heatproof plaster.

You need a sand/cement/lime render (5:1:1) to withstand the heat, conventional sand/cement render will almost certainly crack.

Not sure about the SS sheet, have you considered it may discolor due to the heat? SS is also a bugger to clean, ask anyone who has a fancy SS cooker, splash back or cooker hood (I’ve got 2 out of 3). What type of “heat resistant sealant” are you thinking of using to secure the SS sheet?

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard - i have ordered VITCAS Heat Resistant Silicone - i called them yesterday for some advice and they suggested using this silicone sealant as an adhesive for the SS sheet.

I was actually going to suggest silicone may be the best option ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back