Tiling over stainless steel splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a sheet of stainless steel as a splashback behind the cooker. Its probably about 2m x 1.5m. However, I think it was poor grade steel, as it started to develop rust marks in the brushed finish.

I got a full refund from the place I bought it.. they didnt even argue, which suggested they knew they had a bad batch... I used no more nails type stuff to secure to the wall, and Im worried if I try to remove it, Ill probably pull down half the wall, or at least need to re render/plaster it.

Couldnt I simply tile over it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You would have to check with some adhesive manf. to see if there products are rated for use with SS as a backer, my thoughts would be most wouldn't.

How about fixing a cement backer board over the stainless steel? Secure it with an epoxy glue and the tile on the backer board.

Thanks for the option, ill look into that...

My only other option I suppose would be to paint the steel.. if at all possible.. bearing in mind its over a cooker hob so likely to get warm and wet!

Sponsored Links
You can use heat resistant paint. It should work for you. Tiling on top of the steel is not advisable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back