Fixing a strip light batten: joist distances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the cheapo 3x40W spot-lamp unit in my kitchen with a fluoresecent strip.
The strip light I have bought from B&Q is a 1m (3ft) 30W T8 unit.

I have a slight problem with fixing this unit. The old circular spot lamp unit fixed to the joist nearby where the lighting wires emerged through the ceiling. The strip light batten needs 2 fitments.

Question 1: The kitchen has a single main window. Is it best to fit the strip light parallel to the window? Or does it not matter? Parallel looks better in my kitchen, but at right-angles to the window is easier to fit, as I can attach along a single joist.

Question 2: Is there a common joist distance for a 1970s house? The fixing holes in the batten are 27 inch/69 cm apart. If my joists are not around about this figure, I may have a problem fixing the batten parallel to the window.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
normally in a house of that age, joists will be at 16" on centers, but they really could be anything.

Is there a reason you can't have the floor up above? Would make the job soooo much easier...

Sponsored Links
Can you not borrow a joist finder to make life easier?

Like the idea of the '70's retro look BTW :)

Have this problem a lot although not always strip lights. Easiest solution is plaster board fixings. Not much weight so two fixings plus one at the centre where the cable enters.

hi if you find one joist then the next should be 14 to16 ins away
tap a nail through (gently) along the line where your light will cover the small holes when you find your joist if all fixing not on joist drill new holes
in fitting

Easiest solution is plaster board fixings.

Only problem I found is that the fitting often doesn't completely cover the fixing if using the manufacturer's fixing holes (and ceiling spacers) - even when you predril the holes to prevent said fixings ruining the ceiling in the first place... I tend to just use a sharp screwdriver to find the joists but it's considerably preferable to get above.

Have this problem a lot although not always strip lights. Easiest solution is plaster board fixings. Not much weight so two fixings plus one at the centre where the cable enters.

This sounds the easiest solution. The strip light isn't too heavy.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back