Garage Lighting Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I need to install some better lighting in my garage, but need some advice on what to fit.
It only has one Fluorescent tube currently fitted that you can see in the pic.

I have installed a new workbench (below the light switch on the left hand side) and need some better lighting in this area, so as well as possibly an overhead lamp or light fitting over the bench, I thought I'd need an LED batten towards the front of the garage, to compliment the fluorescent strip light at the back. Or indeed swap out the fluorescent strip light and have two LED batten lights.

What type / size LED battens would be recommended for this type of installation?
Iv'e seen single and doubles / indoors and outdoor (and both).
Is their a way of calculating based on the area to be lit?

Many thanks for any advice.

kgXInfk.jpg

Sponsored Links
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0778Q1RYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have bought (not yet fitted) this . I have one in my kitchen and it's good.
I had initially thought of screwing it to a board, then hanging it on chains to get it lower, but will probably stick it on the ceiling.

One thing I would suggest (you have plenty of time) is to paint the walls/ceiling with white emulsion - I also painted my floor with floor paint. It is amazing what a coat of paint does to the lighting

I think you'd be surprised how good a a twin LED batten is these days. Maybe just go for one 5 footer, or what ever size it is that's up there at the moment. Centralise it and see how you get on. You could calculate the lumens required by the area, but TBH a twin 5ft LED will do most garages.

I think you'd be surprised how good a a twin LED batten is these days. Maybe just go for one 5 footer, or what ever size it is that's up there at the moment. Centralise it and see how you get on. You could calculate the lumens required by the area, but TBH a twin 5ft LED will do most garages.
I take it you mean 1 5ft twin LED batten for the whole garage, to replace the existing fluorescent tube?

Sponsored Links
I have in my garage..

2x 3 tube 5 foot modulars, 1 6 foot, then 2x 2 foot 4 tube modulars over my benches in the workshop section of my garage and two anglepoise type lamps. I have the main lighting switched to three sections, so I can just have the lights on where I am working.

I have in my garage..

2x 3 tube 5 foot modulars, 1 6 foot, then 2x 2 foot 4 tube modulars over my benches in the workshop section of my garage and two anglepoise type lamps. I have the main lighting switched to three sections, so I can just have the lights on where I am working.

Any chance of a pic or link to the type of lamps you are referring to?

I have fitted out similar garages with anticorrosive flus (these days I'd use LED ones) across the ceiling at the back and one wall mounted on either side towards the front.

I have 2 x Ansell Tornado ATORLED2X6 down the middle of my garage, with one at the front (just behind the open UAO door) to be fitted soon.

If fit these as they can take a good bashing.

I have fitted out similar garages with anticorrosive flus (these days I'd use LED ones) across the ceiling at the back and one wall mounted on either side towards the front.

I have 2 x Ansell Tornado ATORLED2X6 down the middle of my garage, with one at the front (just behind the open UAO door) to be fitted soon.

If fit these as they can take a good bashing.

So looking at my garage, you would suggest on ceiling mounted towards the back (about where the flu is in the pic above) And one either side wall mounted towards the front? So again in the pic above, above the light switch and workbench on the wall. How far from the ceiling?

I wouldn't be able to fit one on the opposite side just yet as a result of the bits n pieces I have stashed up against the wall?

Any chance of a pic or link to the type of lamps you are referring to?

Photos would be difficult/impossible, they are recessed between the roof beams. They are just office type modular fittings, intended to go in suspended ceilings which I got cheap. The point I was making was - you need lights over head, where ever you might need to work. My garage is cavernous, with a low ceiling and is very cluttered, I carry out work on my car, I have small lathe in there and I work on various things on the work bench. So the lights are arranged to be switched in areas. I have a distribution board in there for supplies to my hut, the summerhouse and rather than switches, I use the MCB's as switches for the garage's separate area lighting.

I t all depends on your layout, but one over the bench is good if you are working there.

I t all depends on your layout, but one over the bench is good if you are working there.
Yes

My garage has a tube towards the door, then as you go back, a second that runs across the garage.
My bench is at the rear left from inside, facing the door.
I can see, but the reason I bought the LED panel is more light over the workspace.
Don't underestimate good light near the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back