Garage light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post and got quick question. Ive just swopped the ceiling light in the garage which was a 32w single bulb and fitted a lap led batten light which is a 32w but a lot brighter. The light has connections at the other end to daisy chain further light. I'd like to add 2 or 3 more led batten lights as it's a double garage and use it fiddle with and clean bikes ect.

Will fitting extra lights be ok or would it be too many lights for the circuit. Thanks

Sponsored Links
assuming your lighting circuit has a 6amp fuse, then you could have up to 6 amps worth of lights.
That will be an awful lot of even the most powerful LED batten lights. A quick calc says you could have 45 of your 32W battens!

Last edited:
Thanks this is the light

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-single-led-batten-30w-2700lm-5ft/1079v

Brand LAP
Colour Temperature Description Cool White
Colour Temperature Value 4000 K
Construction Material (Lighting) Polycarbonate
Dimmable Non-Dimmable
IP Rating IP65
Lamp Type LED
Length (Imperial) 5 ft
Life Length 25,000 hours
Lm 2700 lm
Manufacturer Guarantee 3 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee (T&Cs Apply)
Model No BF3-2L18NC
Pack Size 1
Pieces in Pack/Case 1
Power Consumption 30 W
Power Output (Watts/Kw) 30 W
Power Voltage Supply 220-240 V
Product Height 65 mm
Product Length 1500 mm
Product Type Single LED Batten
Product Width 63 mm

Also the new light didn't need a earth so i just cut it back so no bare wires. Is thst OK or should it be capped off?

Don’t cut it back. It’s needed got testing, or if you change the light for a Class I fitting later.
Bring the earth wire into the fitting and terminate in a bit of insulating block.

Sponsored Links
I just trimmed the nexcess copper off. It wasn't used in the old light as such was just screwed into a copper / brass block into plastic fitting so not doing anything as such. But will get a insulating block.

So I can easy add several more lights without issue on same switch. Thanks for your help

1mm² or larger twin & earth. Another reason for not cutting back the earth - you need to take it all the way to the end.

1mm² or larger twin & earth. Another reason for not cutting back the earth - you need to take it all the way to the end.

I've only trimmed about 5 mm max off.

The earth cant run to the end. The light has a live and neutral at one end if just one light but if adding a 2nd light then an axrra cable live and neutral only goes into push fit off other end of light and then runs to the next light in series. Does that make sense

I don’t know how the link works on these LAP products. If there’s a link socket then there should be a corresponding link cable sold.

I don’t know how the link works on these LAP products. If there’s a link socket then there should be a corresponding link cable sold.
I'll have a look. I just assumed with my ignorance just needed a standard 2 wire cable. Doesn't seem to be any obvious lap cabling at screwfix.

How does the main supply cable connect to the fitting?
Does the fitting need an earth?

Sorry LAP is a maker that I actively avoid.

How does the main supply cable connect to the fitting?
Does the fitting need an earth?

Sorry LAP is a maker that I actively avoid.

It comes in one end and has a live and neutral push fit and nothing else

Attachments

• 2018-07-29 17.58.56.jpg
    2018-07-29 17.58.56.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 371
"The fitting is double insulated and there is no provision for terminating earth wires . Push fit connections are supplied at both ends so u can loop from one fitting to another if needed ..
Too soon to comment on reliability. "

This is in the review, seems like you have to make your own link cable, maybe enough room to park your supply earth in a seperate block as TTC said

"The fitting is double insulated and there is no provision for terminating earth wires . Push fit connections are supplied at both ends so u can loop from one fitting to another if needed ..
Too soon to comment on reliability. "

This is in the review, seems like you have to make your own link cable, maybe enough room to park your supply earth in a seperate block as TTC said

Thanks. So just need a run of 1mm twin cable

Twin and earth. You need to carry the earth through to the last lamp.

You’ll find using twin and earth (solid conductors) easier in those push fit terminal blocks than stranded cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back