Fixing a wonky light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for the multiple posts but it's a bit of a decorating and electrical question.

this light switch couldn't be any worse. it works at least but it's wonky in every direction. i'm prepping the wall and wondered if anyone has any experience of fixing a switch like this?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Turn the power off, remove the switch.

Remove back box from wall.

With a lump hammer and cold chissel chip out enough brickwork so box fits flush to plasterwork.

Screw box into place. Check it's level with a spirit level.

If brickwork is shot, you may have to 'cement' box in place. Check it's level with a spirit level.

Possibly it's only a shallow 16 mm deep box at the moment.

If so, think about getting a deeper 25 mm or 35 mm deep box if you think you will ever need a dimmer switch.

Usually a rubber grommet should be put round the cable entry hole of the box.

You should fill round the box with the power supply completely isolated, before the switch plate is screwed back in place.

Wouldn't be surprised if you find no back box at all!

Sponsored Links
it looks like there's a back box. i can see a metal box along one side of the switch if that's it.

thanks for the info. really helpful. i'm not sure what to expect when i come to moving the box. how easy will it move? and wondering why it's been placed so badly in the first place.... maybe they couldn't get deep enough for some reason? still no excuse for not using a spirit level but it's the case for most of the house really.

and i'll be careful. i have a healthy fear of live cables!

cheers.

One reason it could be like that is the installer was lazy, and could only be bothered to chissel out the soft plaster and not the hard brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back