Fixing aluminium monkey bars to climbing frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Following on from another discussion, I've got a climbing frame where I want to add some monkey bars. I've got some existing wood that I would prefer to use for the additional side (as it matches the frame perfectly and saves me some bucks) and I have bought some 1-1/4" aluminium tube for the rungs. I would like some advice on the best way of fixing?
Do you think a 1" (25mm) deep hole in each side for the bar to be glued in will be sufficient for the weight of a kid? If more is needed, I may have to get additional timber as the one side that exists is only 70x70mm. Else, any other ideas for fixing them?
Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Obviously, the deeper the tubing is set into the side pieces the better, but 25mm should be just fine.
More importantly perhaps, what is the wall thickness of the aluminium tubing?
John :)

I got 14swg (approx. 2mm). The tubing feels very strong and I can't imagine a kid bending/denting it, especially while 2m in the air...... although with kids, anything is possible.

Sponsored Links
It's possible the tubing may flatten and bend a little so maybe construct the frame so replacement is possible.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back