Fixing base unit feet to floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in the process of making our kitchen island. We have laminate flooring in the kitchen and the base units will just sit on top of the laminate flooring. In order to stop the island moving, I need to somehow fix the feet to the floor. There are no screw holes in the existing base unit feet so I wandered what would be the best way of fixing them?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20160325_161616.jpg
    20160325_161616.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
Or google "fitting a kitchen island to the floor", loads of advice

The island weight should prevent it moving, if not then the legs will easily snap as they are not designed to prevent movement.You can secure the end panels to the floor to keep it in place.

Sponsored Links
Gripfill onto laminate flooring won't hold an island unit in place. It needs to be firmly fixed down to the floor, the legs alone won't support any lateral movement (such as people leaning against the unit).

It will. Been there, done it, several times, haven't yet had a customer call me up to say their island is drifting! The combined "glue points" (plus clear silicone joint along bottom of plinths); plus weight of worktop; plus weight of contents; and as @foxhole wrote: secure decor end panels down with battens which can be glued or screwed to floor!

OP asked what to do with the legs!
Wind a foot up; apply gripfill (or silicone, or no nails etc etc) under foot; wind back down; repeat with each foot!

'Gripfilling' alone to what is effectively a floating floor alone won't do it. As you've added in your last post it needs additional fixings to be secured against lateral movement.

The OP stated that he needed to stop the island moving.

Seen a large island with 16 feet collapse after the legs snapped, they were screwed to the floor, legs not designed to withstand lateral movement.

Hi all, I am in the process of making our kitchen island. We have laminate flooring in the kitchen and the base units will just sit on top of the laminate flooring. In order to stop the island moving, I need to somehow fix the feet to the floor. There are no screw holes in the existing base unit feet so I wandered what would be the best way of fixing them?

Many thanks.
Mark the positions of the legs - holesaw the laminate remove the disc of flooring and let the legs sit on the floor underneath....to stop lateral movement glue a series of blocks from laminate floor to underside of unit.

I pondered this very issue last year with my kitchen island. I didn't want the island scooting across the kitchen if someone leant on it. I asked advice from a kitchen fitter and the kitchen shop both of whom offered no solution!
I abandoned the plastic wibbly-wobbly feet and made a sturdy timber sub-frame out of 6"x2" to the correct height which I screwed to the floor. I then screwed the units to the sub-frame.

It is rock steady and doesn't move at all. The kick boards were glued to the sub-frame.

I would actually recommend some Metal machine feet, these come with fixing holes which allow you to fix it to the floor. They may not look too great in a kitchen, but im sure you can easily cover them up someway!

Heres an example of what I mean - http://www.vital-parts.co.uk/full-metal-machine-feet-112-c.asp

An alternative option is to get adhesive bottoms to stick onto the bottom of each of the feet to add support and stability, but of course these are a temporary fix to an issue that isn't going anywhere. It really is down to you what route you go down as there are a few available to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back