Fixing blind to steel lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered vertical blinds for our 8 windows and have discovered that the lintels are made of steel. I know that I will have to drill holes into the steel to attach the fittings but never having had to drill into steel before, I am unsure of the type of bit and the speed I should use on the drill. Can someone help please?

Sponsored Links
Twist drill, preferably M42 HSS (often called "cobalt steel") will do the job. Assuming the steel is beneath plaster or plasterboard maybe drill down to that with a masonry bit first (to save your HSS bit). Drill at 600 to 1000 rpm or so, no faster. If drilling larger than 4 to 5mm pilot with a smaller diameter bit first then switch to the right size.

As an aside, it is probably going to be more productive to fix a softwood batten (2 x 1 or 3 x 1) to the wall and then fix your curtain track/rail/blinds to that

BTW what fixings were you going to use to attach the gubbins to the lintel, and do you know what type of lintel are you dealing with?

Twist drill, preferably M42 HSS (often called "cobalt steel") will do the job. Assuming the steel is beneath plaster or plasterboard maybe drill down to that with a masonry bit first (to save your HSS bit). Drill at 600 to 1000 rpm or so, no faster. If drilling larger than 4 to 5mm pilot with a smaller diameter bit first then switch to the right size.
Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

s an aside, it is probably going to be more productive to fix a softwood batten (2 x 1 or 3 x 1) to the wall and then fix your curtain track/rail/blinds to that
Did exactly that in my previous house but not possible in this one.

1. BTW what fixings were you going to use to attach the gubbins to the lintel, and
2. do you know what type of lintel are you dealing with?

1. Self tapping screws.
2. Apart from the fact that it is steel the answer is I don’t.

Have just fixed the first bracket in place, and it was so simple after drilling the pilot hole. Thanks mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back