Fixing broken tiles before laying vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello you knowledgable lot. I wonder is someone could provide some advice?

I'm having some vinyl flooring laid in my living room in 2 days time. So today in preparation, I ripped up all of the old carpet and underlay and removed the carpet grippers. The problem is that the floor beneath the carpet is tiled, and around the edge where the carpet grippers were nailed in some of the tiles have broken.

Removing all of the broken bits of tile I now have a number of small gaps that I presume I will need to fill to ensure a completely smooth surface to lay the vinyl onto. How would I best go about this and are there any recommended products for the job?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harry

Sponsored Links
Just to be clear, I cannot add anything to this thread.
I'm intrigued of your choice as I would of thought that vinyl would tear easily in the living room?
I too wanted to do that but thought it was not a viable idea due to durability and now looking at the website included - the price.

Sponsored Links
Did you have an estimator or fitter visit prior to ordering?

To smooth the edge areas, assuming the subfloor is concrete, you need to use a self levelling screed to smooth the edges. Ideally the whole floor should be levelled as the tile design will likely sow through your new flooring at somepoint, but all of this would normally have been explained by an estimator etc?

Nothing wrong with fitting sheet product in these areas, provided that all furniture has felt pads on etc although it's not the ideal smooth floorcovering to put a lot of furniture on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back