Fixing ceiling plaster boards....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered what the preferred method was for fixing plaster board to ceiling joists was now, last time I used nails but am considering using drywall screws. Any other advice on size of board etc much appciated.
JD

Sponsored Links
Whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Both methods are still acceptable. I prefer screws (I just find the whole process more controllable).

If I'm doing an entire ceiling I prefer the 12mm thick stuff (as it is more rigid than the 9mm). If you're replacing just part of a ceiling, you need to go with the flow, and fit the same thickness as the stuff you're leaving up.

I prefer to use 2400 x 1200 (rather than the 1800 x 900) sheets, because it usually works out cheaper (and I'm a skinflint :)), but if you're replacing existing, it's easier to duplicate what's there (to save having to put more noggins in).

I suppose I might as well stick some sound proofing in between the joists, any recommendations what to go for?

Isowool 1200 Sound Deadening Quilt . Available from any good Builders Merchants or DIY shed .

Sponsored Links
Thanks DAZB, is it just a case of cutting it to size and pushing it in between the joists or does it have to be glued/sealed in to work? Don't really want to have to bother with soundbreaker bars, 2 layers of plasterboard etc, not looking for it to be perfectly soundproof.

JD

allways screw ceiling boards, trouble with nails is they never really tighten the board to the joist as a screw will and this only becomes apparent when polishing up the skim coat and the pressure of trowell on board pops the plaster from around the nail head... a pain in the rear to tighten the nail and fix the "popper"

Thanx Legs! So now I know how I am going to fix them up, just gotta do some more homework on soundproofing/fireproofing/insulation and find out which way up the plasterer wants the boards.
Cheers
JD

JDLDIY said:
Thanx Legs! So now I know how I am going to fix them up, just gotta do some more homework on soundproofing/fireproofing/insulation and find out which way up the plasterer wants the boards.
Cheers
JD

As mentioned sound quilt and apart from sound proofing plasterboards you could fix two layers of 12.5mm with the joints staggered.. plasterboards ivory side down. ;)

Sorry for the delayed response . The Isowool 1200 just needs cutting to size and pushing between the joists like you say and I'd also agree with Legs about the staggered double skin of plasterboard but do remember to use longer screws on the second skin of boards. The advantage of this method is that it will also increase the Fire resistance of the ceiling too.

use double check plasterboardits about three times the price (and weight unfortunately) but has soud deadening properties about twice as good too. But remember most of the sound will be transfered through your joists and screws any way.If you want to do the job properly use resilliemt bars and doublecheck plasterboard have a look at www.soundservice.co.uk

Thanks for the links guys! Looks like I will definitely be putting something down between the joists, but I'm not too sure whether I will bother with double layer plasterboard, what with the added weight and the fact that the joists aren't the most substantial etc. Also being above the kitchen we wanted to install recessed downlighters so we'll be cutting holes in the boards anyway for those.

Thanks again - great advice, this site really is bl***y useful!

JD

JDLDIY said:
Also being above the kitchen we wanted to install recessed downlighters
If you're fitting recessed lights AND insulation. Make sure you leave some space around the downlighters to allow them to dissipate heat, otherwise you'll find the life expectancy of your bulbs will be severely diminished (owing to overheating).

Unfortunately, this will compromise your sound insulation quite substantially, but if you're putting recessed lights in, that's gonna stuff the sound issolation quite a bit anyway.

with down lighters use heat resistent smoke hoods over them anyway as they get damn hot and for the sound side of things use acoustic sealant around the hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back