Fixing cupboards to wall/ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I think and hope I'm in the right forum .... apologies if not

I want to build a 10 foot run of fitted cupboards in a study, to sit above the door frame. I'm assuming the cupboards could either be screwed into the ceiling joists (the attic is above) or screwed into the wall uprights? It's a Victorian flat with a lathe and plaster wall construction. Which would be better/or should I do both? The cupboards will contain relatively heavy materials - not books, but papers, games, office supplies.

Also, if I should fix to the wall - what's the easiest way to find the uprights to screw into? If I find one, is there an average distance between each?

thanks in advance for any help and advice

Sponsored Links
i assume we mean standard kitchen wall units!!!

the problems we have are the wall is unlikley to be flat then the roof is likely to sag and be uneven meaning when you get your cabinets level and strait you will have gaps above the units so you would need to space them off to stop your fixing screw pulling the cabinets out off shape

may be easiest with a 2x1par batton for the bottoms to sit on and a hanging rail affixed for the top fixings to sit on

Good point big all - thanks.

No, I was going to build the cupboards too - but might investigate using kitchen wall units instead!

I will go with the baton underneath and the screws through the back pieces.

Any tips on how to find the uprights?

thanks again

to find the uprights
allow 2 inches above the cabinet tops for deviation and level
height off the cabinet say 500mm plus half the baton [44 div by 2=22]
so draw a level line 550 from the ceiling[top off the baton ]level to that line
draw another 22mm below full length again

tap the wall until you think it sounds firmer drill a 3mm hole in the area on the centre line once you find an upright drill another hole each side 1/2" away
if one hole is in solid and one out drill a further hole on the solid side 1/2" along assume the centre of the 3 holes is the joist centre and the next joist may be at 16" centres repeat accross area
all the extra holes will be covered by the baton

word of warning be wary of pipes and wires when in charge of a 3mm drill l o l
look for sockets and switches in the room you are in and expect the wires to go vertically accross or horizontally up or down from any socket or switch and avoid 2"either side

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back