Fixing cupboards to wall in garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I'm getting desperate here. I am trying to figure out a way to attach some heavy cupboards to an extension garage wall. The problem I am having is none of the fixings I use will get tight to assure the cupboard doesn't drop onto my car.

I have experimented with:
* Large screws and rawl plugs, these just spin and pull out.
* I tried 100mm double glazing fittings, but the screw just pulls the plastic end bit right through.
* I tried 110mm rawl bolts, but again, these don't get tight.

It would seem the concrete blocks the builder used are made of corn flakes, and then there is 1 inch of plaster board depth, not including the 3/4inch MDF of the cupboard. There is a cavity just after the blocks, but that is 150mm in after all the layers.

How do I fix something heavy to these walls?

Thanks in advance for any help given,
Toni.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried using a drill bit which is smaller than the fixing you intend to use? Blocks crumble so easily you can end up with a very much larger hole than you intended.

Better experts than I will be along shortly....

Yes, i've tried smaller drill bits on all of the above. The wall currently looks like a shooting gallery through my testing!

i would using a good quality construction adhesive to glue and screw a 3/4 ply panel to the wall when you drill the holes for the plugs force in as much glue as you can put in the plug allow and to set and glue the back of panel to the wall prop up till set then screw units to this using washers and screws is it possible to fix to the ceiling through the units for extra strength

Sponsored Links
I'm intending to put quite a lot of weight into the already heavy 84 inch wide cupboards, I can't see how glue on top of plasterboard will hold it.

Here's a pic of a hole I left behind trying to use Rawl Bolts:

hole.jpg
[/img]

is it possible to use stud iron rods and bolt right through the wall.
washers and nuts either end that is a big cupboard

Or.. screw a 75x50 to the ceiling joists and another to the floor at the desired length. Fasten vertical studs and a row of horizontal noggins and screw your cupboards to the uprights. You'd lose a bit of space though. Any good?

is it possible to use stud iron rods and bolt right through the wall.
washers and nuts either end that is a big cupboard

I considered that until my girlfriend reminded me what the neighbours are like. They wont like seein that!

Or.. screw a 75x50 to the ceiling joists and another to the floor at the desired length. Fasten vertical studs and a row of horizontal noggins and screw your cupboards to the uprights. You'd lose a bit of space though. Any good?

I wanted to keep it off the floor completely as it's a wedge shaped garage, I still need to be able to fit a car in.

I've bought some resin and bolts from B&Q to give that a go. I'll keep y'all informed!

Quote from that link:-

These fixings are ideal for:

•Lamps
•Small wall mounted shelves
•Tower rails
•Letter boxes
•Hanging baskets
•Curtain rails
•Suspended ceilings
•Cable Trays

Hardly Heavy Duty !

What’s the deal with the ceiling?

Maybe the bulk of the weight can passed through some cables suspended from the ceiling so the cupboards are fixed to the wall, just, but the weight of them complete with your stash of anvils can be supported in the cupboards with the cables coming from a joist running underneath?
grinning-smiley-004.gif

Just trying to think outside the box…
bulb2.gif

I think as long as you try and anchor it to the cornflakes you will never truly have peace of mind or a good night’s slumber for fear of things that go bump in the night..
sleeping-smiley-001.gif

Desperate times call for desperate measures, as they say…

Resin anchors FTW!!!

garage.jpg
[/b]

5 on each cupboard and I can hang all 14 stone of me off it!

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back