Fixing DPM to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way of fixing a DPM to a masonry wall to ensure the membrane is not compromised?

I need to fix one to a single skin masonry wall prior to fixing timber studwork and need to know the most sensible way of A) Fixing the membrane to the wall and B) fixing the timber studwork to the wall through the membrane. I was planning on using hammer screws but I still have the problem of them needing to penetrate the membrane.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to fix anything to the wall if plasterboarding or insulating. You should definitely ensure that the plasterboard is either insulation backed, foil backed or use vapour barrier over the studwork before fixing it.

OK - so no DPM, just studwork fixed to wall and then vapour barrier over the top prior to plaster board or simply foil backed plasterboard.

I'm in two minds at the moment whether to fit something like Celotex PIR board between the studs and then plasterboard over the top, or to leave the gaps between the studwork clear and just use a plasterboard with the insulation and foil already attached.

I've got 120mm of space to play with so there may well be more than these two options. I suppose I could bring the studwork away from the wall altogether and have a ventilated cavity - would this, in fact, be better given the space I have? With this method I would insulate with PIR board between the studs.

Thats what I would go with, leave gap, 4x2 studwork, full fill insulation and overboard with a 25mm foam backed PB. Will be toasty! Whats the room used for? What on the outside? (street, neighbours etc?)

Sponsored Links
The room is a small front extension that a previous owner had built around 25 years ago. It's a little on the cold side so I'm spending the Christmas holiday sorting it all out and redecorating, new wood floor etc.

Just seems to be a total minefield when it comes to what products to buy, how they should be installed, where to buy them from etc!

Do you know if Travis Perkins will sell to a general consumer from their stores? They'll only sell online to tradesmen.

Unless you are trade or a regular, they will rip you off. Try and find another local builders merchant. You can also order the products online, even some ebay sellers will have what you need, but try and find one local to you.

The experienced folk on this forum will help you through the minefield, although there are quite a few members on here with artificial legs :eek:

around here ive found buildbase are the cheapest supplier of the most items at present but different materilas from different merchants varies from branch to branch.yell.com in your area for builders merchants.you could also try the DIY stores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back