Fixing & finishing new T&G boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start laying new floorboards in two rooms (one of them a bathroom) and intend to varnish them so that the floors become an attractive feature of the house. I want to get it right and so need to make some decisions about fixing and finishing.

The boards are T&G redwood with a finished size of 21mm thick and 135mm wide. Regarding fixing, can I secret nail these through the tongues only or should I fix the nails through the top of the boards. I am using 60mm lost head nails.

I intend to finish the boards with a varnish of some kind and I have heard that it is worth using products such as Bonakemi. Does this have any advantages over the more readily available stuff (e.g. Ronseal) that I could but at my local B&Q ?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Tongues only for neat finish if you are installing them directly onto joists. If there is already a under- or sub floor, then there is normally no need to secretly nail them; you can install them floating (glue T&G only, which in the bathroom gives an extra 'seal' against moist getting under the boards).
See here. for well known and good productSuitable for moist areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back