Laying floor boards on old floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to put down new T&G floor boards in my bathroom and varnish them for a natural finish. The problem is getting the old boards up. The joist positions are outside the room and partition walls are on top of them. I don't really want to clean the origional floor up because it has shrunk quite a lot. Could i lay new boards straight on top of the old boards ? and secret nail them through into the old boards ?

Thanks all
Coggy

Sponsored Links
just my opinion:

you could, but you then end up with a step (all be it small) into the bathroom, door (if open inwards) wont open, bath panel (if fitted) will have its bottom edge non acessable

you will have to cut carefully around toilet base, hand basin base and also as previously mentioned.

could you not take all existing floor boards out (except under bath) but toilet and hand basin would have to come out, put "noggins" along exising joists and fix new floor ends to these.

lay t & g floor realise that its a pain in the "insert word of your choice here" to get the middle board up to get under the floor for light below and wish you had never done it in the first place.

Thanks for the quick re-ply

Yes noggings is an option. I realise there will be a small step and was thinking of putting a s/wood door strip there and then the landing carpet can be laid up to that.
If i lay it on top the hand basin cut out won't be much of a problem as i am boxing in underneath it and putting a couple of doors on it using cladding, finished to match the floor, so the cut out wont be seen until you open the cupboard doors.

There is no toilet in the bathroom it is in a sperate small loo room

Thanks
Coggy

Sponsored Links
I think that the main problem would be if you ever need to get under the floor for access to electrics, water pipes or waste pipes. It is bad enough to get through a single T&G floor in a decent fashion, but I think if there are 2 layers it would be very difficult to get the floor back down nice and level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back