Fixing flagstone vertically (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I secure this flag? It's come loose and is currently just "resting" where it is:

_EM54672.JPG

The metal post will stop it from falling so it's not immediately dangerous, but I would like to secure it somehow. I think it's basically just rubble/topsoil behind.

Sponsored Links
You appear to be using it as a retaining wall. It will never be successful.

Do flags tend to have rebar in? Today's plan is to drill/plug/screw some builder's band round the corner to keep them in place, and then put a fillet of cement at the bottom

Sponsored Links
Could you make a step around it so it can be more deeply embedded in concrete?

It's a retaining wall, so you need a wall. Precast sections are available in an L shape but I think your job is too small to warrant them.

You could also use concrete fence posts or spurs to support the paving slabs if you want.

Anything short of a well-founded wall will eventually be pushed over or break.

If you're really careful you can look to gently drill a hole through the adjacent one on the corner, and into the side of the one that is falling over, then concrete screw them together (do in a few places) with a screw long enough to be 2/3rds into the flag that falls over

Though drilling into thin concrete can initiate a crack

I've only got about 200mm [opinions may vary] to play with at the base here as it's right up against a public footway [more space on the other one as it's my drive]. Something L-shaped and precast sounds appealing as it will fix two at once. The ground rises in either direction, this corner is the high point, so I am less concerned about the other flags.

You could dig out the corner below the path and place concrete blocks flat on their side? This would take the load off the slab so that it’s function is solely as a finishing piece

I didn't realise it was "bodge" week. You need to replace them with 3x2's concreted in. If you fasten that to the next or any other nonsense that will go the same way and then your paving will start moving and you'll have that to deal with as well. It's a fairly simple Saturday afternoon job to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back