Fixing for foil backed board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Relatively new to DIY but have seen some excellent advice here and gleaned enough info so far!

I have just finished fixing gyproc duplex on battens around three exterior walls and need to finish off around the window. I plan to use direct bonding as there is no space for battens and I am wondering if this new pink grip or similar contact adhesive would be suitable on a foil backed board?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The problem with fixing foil back board with adhesive is the bond can only ever be as good as the bond of the foil to the board. You say “finish off around the window”, are you talking about just the window reveals or the whole wall where the window is located? Can I ask why you’re using foil back board?

The problem with fixing foil back board with adhesive is the bond can only ever be as good as the bond of the foil to the board. You say “finish off around the window”, are you talking about just the window reveals or the whole wall where the window is located? Can I ask why you’re using foil back board?

Thanks for the quick reply! I am just doing the window reveals, this will give you some idea. The room has 3 external walls and is very cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. The foil was used as there has been some damp in the past due to failures in the render (now sorted)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If it’s just the reveals, it almost certainly won’t matter; there is no weight in the small pieces involved. I’ve never tried peeling the foil off the back so don’t know how easy it comes off but I would do this if you can; use a notched tiling trowel to apply the adhesive rather than dot & dab & stick it to that; I don’t think you’ll have any problems & the thin angle bead will hold the front together anyway. You could always stick half a dozen or so "through fixings" to secure it in place but I don't think it'll be necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back