Fixing Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me how many and what size screws should be used to fix standard round guttering brackets as they have 3 holes. The ones that have been fitted only had 1 screw fixing them, so why produce brackets with 3 holes?

Regards,

Bill

Sponsored Links
Having three holes gives you options,i normaly only put one screw in but if it feels a bit soft going in I'll stick another in.

There might be a knot in the way stuff like that,as for screw size that depends on thickness of wood fascia board,and size of gutter bracket hole.

We usually put one screw in.

However, when pulling the line we secure these brackets with two screws.

Earlier brackets only used to have one hole. This is so that even if you happen to fix the bracket slightly skewed then it is allowed to correct itself once the gutter is clipped in.

one screw and allways stainless steel 25mm to 30mm,good luck and watch your fingers.

Sponsored Links
Also space your brackets 600mm apart and not 1m. It will be more secure and less likely to warp or twist in hot and cold weather. I have done miles of the stuff, never a problem.

Andy

Also space your brackets 600mm apart and not 1m. It will be more secure and less likely to warp or twist in hot and cold weather. I have done miles of the stuff, never a problem.

Andy

Mr Hertsdrainage2010 ( did you win that name at a gay beauty pageant? :mrgreen: ;) ).

Being just a humble roofer and never too old to learn i say, whats your method of gutter fixing. First i fix the stop end clip close to the tile, fix the outlet at a rough guess to form the level then string line between and take a level to the string and adjust outlet until i have a slight fall. Then fix the other clips along the string line. It works but im sure there must be a better way?

If you only need to put one screw into any of the 3 holes why have we 24 holes in the 3 hinges that hold our doors to their frames and a screw into each hole. The 600mm fixing centres makes sense.

Many thanks .

Bill

If you only need to put one screw into any of the 3 holes why have we 24 holes in the 3 hinges that hold our doors to their frames and a screw into each hole.

Understand-Huh-Father_Ted.jpg

600mm - or 2 foot :eek: 900 odd or 3 feet is the optimum - My 1973 job @ the cottage by the main road is still fine :LOL: Looks dated now - it`s grey Osma ;) . No fascia at all, only a soffit - I had brackets made from 3/4 inch marine ply and strung 2 lines to get them straight and perp.. Not bad for a Country plumber:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back