Fixing Handrail to ceramic tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Can you mount a Handrail to ceramic tiles?, I'v fitted towel rails, Mirrors and cabinets but just not sure about this handrail because of the weight it might have to take? Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
It is not the tile which takes the force it is what the fixing is sunk into.
What is behind the tile plasterboard, brick?
Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'm not sure what is behind the tiles , if its the same as the other wall its lath work and old plaster. its actually for a couple of elderly people i think they would lean on it often and regularaly. My thought was to make the holes in the tiles a few mills larger than the raw plugs..I'm just not sure!! I just get the feeling if theres heavy downward preasure on the handrail it could crack a tile. Any ideas would be gratefull!!

Ta

you will not get a successful void type fixing unless you remove the tiles and fix a nogging behind the void.

there is no way i would want anyone putting full weight onto plasterboard fixings or similar. :eek:

Sponsored Links
yea i know i would need to find the noggings or verticals, and its because it would have to be so tightly skrewed in i was wondering if the average ceramic tile was up to the job?

pud911 said:
i was wondering if the average ceramic tile was up to the job?

if bedded correctly, then yes. it may be wise to try and orientate the fixings so that they are away from any tile edges as this can cause splitting.

yea i get what you mean, bang in the middle of the tile. the lighter weight stuff i have fitted i drilled a 6mm hole through the tile and used red raw plugs with not to thick a screw. how would you drill the handrail? would you make a large hole in the tile, basicly so the raw plug goes straight through the tile into the wall ?
Ta

rawl plugs MUST pass through the tile and into the masonry. you will almost certainly split the tile should you stop the plug short and leave it visible within the thickness of the tile.

if i use a 7mm drill bit through the tile into the wall a brown raw plug would not go all the way through, would you role out the hole in the tile to say 9mm or something so it fits right through?

sorry to sound like a right diddy! I'm being a right pest here.

Cheers anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back