Fixing hardboard panels in the cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was not much headroom in the cellar, and splinters from the joists in the head were not popular. It was decided that they should be boarded over. A job for hardboard and panel pins!
Just have to be a little careful around the light, the gas meter and the electric cables. It wouldn't be wise to break the bare light bulb, it would be totally dark down there. Hardboard can be slippery stuff when attempting to pin it upwards into a joist that could not be seen because the board was now in the way.
Now did the cable to the light run on the left or the right of the joist? Have to be careful to avoid the flexible steel hose from the gas meter.
With unerring accuracy the pin missed the joist, remained in contact with the hammerhead as the pin pierced the cable to the light fitting, forming a perfect contact with the live cable at the very moment the claw contacted the thin flexible steel hose that connected to the gas meter. It was well earth bonded.
In close succession, there was a bright blue flash and bang, the light bulb became dark and a jet of yellow flame shot across the cellar.
Following the brief sensation of heat, there was an instant when the smell of singed eyebrows was rapidly replaced by that of raw gas, an enveloping darkness breaking through the purple and green after-images that swam before my eyes, and a loud hiss that led me blindly to the source of the noise and smell.
Where was the cut-off lever? I did not have to feel too far, and it was a relief to hear how effective it was.
The next challenge was to find the steps leading to the cellar door. It did not seem prudent to try and find the consumer unit and reset the lighting circuit at that time.
Forward an hour and a half, and the nice emergency gasman had come and replaced the damaged connection, pin had been removed from cable, which had been replaced and rerouted, light was restored and most of the boarding completed.
It was a good result, considering the alternatives, really.

Sponsored Links
Err, check the date of the post.
Think you've been had. What are the chances of a claw hammer being in contact with a panel pin that has just pierced a 'live' cable and a steel 'flexible' gas pipe that was well earthed all at the same time?
Bearing in mind that the flexible steel pipe would be on the incoming side and the earth bonding should be within 600mm of the meter on the consumers side. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
No Conny, it actually happened.

About 25 years ago iirc. I know that the pipe must have been earthed from the flash, bang and lighting circuit tripping or blowing simultaneously. I guess the incoming steel gas pipe from the underground supply main would have been well earthed.

I'm just lucky, I guess :)

Take your word for it.
Its just that when I saw the date I immediately became suspicious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back