Fixing Hardiebacker board for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen splashback to tile, 2000mm x 300mm. There's a 19mm gap between the back of the worktop (cherry) and the wall (skimmed lightweight blocks).

I'd appreciate some advice on the best way to take up the gap. I thought of using Hardiebacker board rather than plaster board. Would tilers agree? If so, with what type of adhesive should it be fixed to the wall, and does it need mechanical fixing as well?

Or would you use moisture-resistent plasterboard.

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
No need for Hardi, thats too good/expensive/heavy for your application. I wouldnt even use W.R. Plasterboard; just normal, cheap 9.5mm plasterboard will do you. If you Splashback height is the normal 480 (ish) mm, AND if your tiles are Ceramic ( not porcelain ) I would just dot-n-dab the board up, using the powdered adhesive you have for the tiles.

No need for Hardi, thats too good/expensive/heavy for your application. I wouldnt even use W.R. Plasterboard; just normal, cheap 9.5mm plasterboard will do you. If you Splashback height is the normal 480 (ish) mm, AND if your tiles are Ceramic ( not porcelain ) I would just dot-n-dab the board up, using the powdered adhesive you have for the tiles.

Thanks for the reply. Too late though, already done ;) I used Hardie and followed the advice from James Hardie (in a pdf and a video), fixing it with Gripfill and also screwing and plugging. I don't think it'll be going anywhere.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back