Fixing heavy cabinet to tiled dot and dab wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to fix a wall mounted storage unit onto the wall in my bathroom. The cabinet weighs 37kg. The walls are porcelain tile onto dot and dab plasterboard onto a breeze block inner leaf of the cavity wall. Given there will be a gap between the face of the tiles and the breeze block that I ultimately want the load to be taken by, the 45mm long screws and plugs that came with the unit appear totally inadequate.

My plan is to get some 8mm x 100mm long plugs and suitable screws to ensure the screw go right into the breeze block - would these be sufficient? What I would also like some advice with is whether i should oversize the holes through the tiles and push the plugs right through the tiles and into the board/wall underneath so that the plugs and associated screws aren’t actually in contact with the tiles where they go through? Perhaps 12mm holes through the tiles to accept the rawl Plugs underneath?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
37kg is heavy especially when it is full. If you have enough suitable fixing points on the cabinet you could try corefix.

Blup

Thanks, yeah the cabinet is mounted on six anchor points, of which there is three in each of the two supplied mounting brackets. I was not aware of core fix, would these still need to be pushed behind the tiles into the plasterboard to avoid risk of cracking the tile? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back