Fixing heavy radiator to wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure is this is a heating or buildings question (fits both).

We have recently purchased a new radiator which is a modern take on the old school type. It is 1.6m long, 60cm high and 4 columns deep - so pretty heavy even before it's filled with water!

It needs to be wall mounted (brackets come with it) but I am concerned about the type of fixings. The walls of the house are concrete block but are not the dense type. They are not airated but somewhere in between. I have fixed things into it before but it can tend to crumble. If it helps they are a dark grey colour.

I was thinking the using shield anchors but worried that if they do not grab into the blockwork and it crumbles I will be screwed! (no pun) I was looking on screwfix and the fischer resin fixings look promising but have never used this method.

If anyone has any advice as to how good this stuff is and tips on its use before I buy this stuff I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
are you sure it is not suppose to stand on the floor, with wall brackets just to prevent it falling over?

Hi, it says it can be fitted either way and the legs are an optional extra. If wall mounted it says use appropriate heavy duty wall fixings designed for your type of wall construction. The wall brackets that come with it are very heavy duty but just want a strong and reliable fixing method.

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
The hole size in the bracket determines the maximum size of screw you can use but something like an M12 - M10 plug with M10 or M8 coach screw about 40-50mm long. As long as you drill a neat hole and the plug fits tight you'll be fine.
Of course if you intend swinging off of it, climbing onto it or have kids that are monkeys; then the floor mounted feet would be a sensible investment.

Hey, how did you know our 2 kids are monkeys! ;)

Thanks for your advice. We have got the leg pack but want to see what it looks like wall mounted as we are having a solid oak floor fitted and want to keep the floor clear of pipes etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Had exactly the same situation, though mine was a 2 column type rad, and my internal blocks are soft crumbly concrete.

I resin fixed (using exactly the Fischer product you linked) four M6 studs (about 80mm long) per bracket, and once gone off fixed the brackets with some nice stainless M6 acron nuts.

Having said all this, i really don't think only wall mounting a 4 column rad is a good idea!

One further bit of advice, if your brackets have white plastic strips that go between the rad and wall brackets, don't bother fitting them. Mine split within about a week!

Sounds like a TMC rad from "The Radiator Company" that use the screw in hook type brackets, you can't use screws or bolts to fix them. Just done 6 of them in an old cottage. Had to resort to the feet on two of them as the walls were wattle & dawb

Try using the brackets with the flanged plugs supplied, if they do not hold the hole will be the correct size for using the resin, its best to give it a few hours to set fully before loading

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back