fixing insulated plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
This is my 1st post so hope you can help.
Am renovating an old Perigoid property in SW France,
am lining out the roof space using Fibre Glass and insulated plaster board mounted on metal tracking ,which seems very popular over here.
The plaster board is the type with 13 mm board with 40mm insulation ,this is a grey colour which i am told is better for thermal and acoustic insulation,my question is ,what is the best means of fixing this board,i have 70 mm plasterboard screws is there any form of adhesive which can be used as well as ,this board is quite heavy and will be used on ceilings as well as walls,any ideas suggestions would be much appreciated .
Regards Dave

Sponsored Links
Into the metal you only need the screw in just past the tip, where the shank is full thickness. So 65 -70mm drywall screws will work fine.

If fixing to a masonry wall or other flat surface you can get PB fixing foam in a can. Like expanding foam but slightly less expanding.

Hi There
Thanks for your reply,do you reckon the spray foam would assist the fixing of the board on the ceiling, ie sprayed on the metal supports prior to fixing with screws,Cheers Dave

No, Won't have the surface area and may not stick to metal anyway. Best way is to get a spare pair of hands holding the board while you put the first few screws in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link.the Brico we deal with hire these out at 34 euros a weekend,good value.
I am more concerned with it staying on the ceiling once ive fixed it,seems a great weight with only the bugle head screws holding it up,but if you experienced guys reckon these will do the job then ime happy.
All the best Dave

Don't forget if screwing boards in to metal you want to be using, Fine Thread Drywall Screws for Metal Studs
I can't get the link of RedHerrings, so sorry if this is the same thing,
but you can make a dead mans prop out of two pieces of wood that form an elongated 'T' shape that will support boards whilst you fix them.
There's a link somewhere, i'll have google for it.

Ah got it http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Dead_man_prop

I'd make two, one for either end of the board, make it so it slightly bigger than the measurement between floor and the ceiling (when the board is fixed)
That means assuming your board is fixed up, your measurement from the floor to the ceiling is 2400mm make the 'T' 2420mm, this make more sturdy.

Hi There
thanks for your advices,just to complicate the issue the ceilings in question are not horizontal but at an angle,i think a modified form of prop will do the trick.All the best Dave

Depending on steepness of the angles, but when I came across ceilings with varying heights, using the props.
I used to have the props made of two peices on the veritical straight.
So they would over lap by about 18 inch, then I could adjust they height by fixing by screws, to the required height.
Then when the height changed unscrew and change length. It's a cheap and effective way to do DIY and small jobs. Without going out and hiring board lifters.

Short lengths of batten, with a hole drilled through the middle and screwed in next to the edge of where the board will go. Don't screw it in all the way, and you can spin it like a simple latch on a shed or hutch. About 4 will do, sounds a fiddle but will go in and come out in second if you have a spare cordless or impact driver.

You can also push a lost head nail backwards into the insulation part of the previous board and slide the new one up against it and push it home, that will support edges to some degree as you butt them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back