Fixing into lath and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been asked a hundred times.........................

Got a new cabinet for the bathroom - it weighs 16kg. The walls are lath and plaster and where the cabinet is going (small space between window and corner) I'm not likely to find a stud in the right place. The wall has tiles on it as well so not much hope of any investigations.

I've already used rawl plugs for the extractor fan (I know it's not heavy) and gave it a right good pull and it's solid (just as well or I'd have fallen off the toilet!! haha)

Would spring toggles be my best bet and would they hold a 16kg cabinet?

Sponsored Links
What I recomend is a special fastening that used to be available from Screwfix, but I can't find them now. Its an updated toggle bolt type. I was using toggle bolts but once inserted, you can have a problem putting the screw in and the "works" drop inside the cavity (Ah, well another quid gone !). The fixings are plastic and consist of two plastic strips about 6" long, at the far end is a captive toggle and at the front there is a plastic cover trim. So you pass the thing through the hole and pull back on the strips and push the cover trim. This then locks the works on the inside of the wall. Cut off the excess strip. Insert 6mm bolt and you are away. I needed to use these for lath and plaster walls, where the back of the lathes can be as thick as 1 1/2" due to the plaster curls.
I'll have another look with google. These soort of things :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M5-Genuin...1ac1042&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=371411289036
Togglers snap toggle
Frank

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ahh, thank you. They look the business. Trying to see if I can locate them locally.

Sponsored Links
If you can use a 115mm circular saw or a 115mm angle grinder - then buy a cheap very thin cutting disc, no teeth needed, & chuck it up in either.
Slowly follow your cut line and - no sawing needed - it will slide through the plaster and the lath.
You can work one up in the loft applying a little stabilising pressure, and one below cutting.
Safety glasses needed.
Keep any hatch well away from closets and stair wells.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back