How to fix into a Lath & Plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....I am inthe process of fitting a shower door between to walls, one of which is made up of plaster and lath.

Can anyone suggest a method of fixing into the p& L wall as usual rawls and plastic plasterboard anchors won't hold.

Many thanks in advance.....Pete

Sponsored Links
as you cant put wood in because its already tiled :cry:

a method i used for relativly light shelving with a triangular shelve holding a portable tv in the corner is just to use a pilot hole a few mm smaller than the screw threadsize
now obviously this method worked because most of the weight was in shear force[downwards]where as a shower screen will pull out at the top
and i assume the screws went through the laths
but maybe in conjunction with a thin plate to spread the weight may work!!!!!! assuming its a bracket top and bottom

having looked at the back of lath and plaster, and remembering it could be 100 years old, I wouldn't bother trying. I reckon it'll fall off and bring the wall with it. Work out where the studs are and either fix to them, or batten off them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back