Fixing joists or just the weight of the roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll be putting a flat roof on a 3x3 garage extension/workshop shortly and had looked to mimic the existing roof which looks to run joists across the width onto the top of the bricks, with braces running lengthways between them. It doesn’t look like the joists are secured to the single skin wall, so is that ok and the weight of the roof will keep it secure or do they need fixing somehow onto the top of the bricks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you using a wall plate?
why dont you post pics of your project?

Sponsored Links
The rational behind a "long" strap is to spread the uplift forces acting on the roof surface.

If you "restrict" the area of wall / block that is being used to counteract the uplift to [in the case of the device you have found] the uplift force is being restrained by one block rather that [in the case of the "long" strap] a very large weight of wall?

Hope this makes sense?

You could search for a plastic cover that will reduce the visual impact of a galvanised strap??

Ken.

You can also fix the strap down the back side of the inner skin if that’s where the wall plate is, if you aren’t using a single skin wall and build it in the right order. On the one I’m doing at the mo, I don’t mind the straps so just fitted them as normal.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. As unsightly as they might be I will get some twisted straps for the joists to secure them.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back