building decking onto existing flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build some decking onto a new re-layed pitch flat roof, My plan was to consruct a 2x2 framing and then secure decking onto this, size would be 12ft width, 5ft long, My worry is would the weight of this be too much, when roof relayed ensured extra thick board was layed,and joist underneath were in good order, any suggestions how to protect framing from damaging roofing felt, also how will water still run away ok etc, any suggestion would be appreciated - thanks

Sponsored Links
if you wanted a balcony roof then you would have been better off with an asphalt type surface.

i cannot see your scenario working. :confused:

I can't see a problem as long as the roof has adequate drainage.

Decking places little load on the felt

the roof covering will be vulnerable in the summer and vulnerable in the winter.

the deck supports will be vulnerable to the rain.

Sponsored Links
This will be exactly the same as when promenade tiles (and spacers) are laid onto flat roofs

The 2x2 bearer will just sit on the felt with no problems

The only other concern to drainage, is to make sure that the timbers are not so long as they touch the perimeter angle filler or upstand - so as not the gouge the felt at the upstand angle

Theoretically, the decking will provide more protection to the felt from damaging rapid temperature changes or shade/sun stresses, and so could increase its life

The other issue is a b/regs one of external fire spread. This may not apply if this is maintenance, but if this decking is close to a boundary (less than 1m) when b/regs would otherwise require specific fire precautions, then it would be wise to consider the implications.

well i think it's doomed, DOOMED!

doomed.jpg

what size are the joists!!!
what is the unsupported span!!!!

weve done these before and the frame has sat on the slabs woody referred to. No problem with teh drainage as the frame is off of the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back