Fixing kitchen cupboards to plasterboard walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am looking to install several kitchen wall cupboards.

As far as I can make out the wall is made up of 3 sheets of plasterboard only with no cavity or batons.

The cupboards may contain a decent weight, so the fixings need to be strong and secure.

What is the best fixings to use please?

Kind regards,

Sponsored Links
cabinet hanging rail, screwed through the plasterboard to the studs or the blockwork, whatever's behind it.

you appear to be suggesting that your wall is just three sheets of plasterboard standing on the floor. What makes you think that?

Before anyone can give you advice, it's essential that you find out the background behind the plasterboard as in , is it brick and the plasterboard dot and dabbed on ?
Once we know what or how the plasterboard has been fixed to the wall we can offer fixing advice.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

As far as I can see, it is a wall that is made up of 3 layers of plasterboard There is a small channel dug out for one 3 core cable to feed a double socket, coming from the ceiling. I have made several test holes to find a baton, but unsuccessful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks rsgaz.

No! I carefully drilled into, but not through
. ;)

Last edited:
You can usually tell where batons or supports are by doing a simple tap test. The stud wall will sound hollow where there is no baton, and less hollow where there is one. provided the stud wall is secured appropriately, the plaster boards alone should be able to hold a fair amount of weight. You would need to use metal anchor bolts and an anchor bolt tool in a stud wall, as common rawlplugs will just pull out.

Thanks Andee.

I have done the tap test and can't quite work out if there is a baton or not. Batons are usually set every 12-16 inches but not even the drill test has come up with anything.

:(

What’s approx age of property? Is it a house? Flat? Caravan?
What’s it made of? Brick, block, timber?

I carefully drilled into, but not through.
not even the drill test has come up with anything

But if the drill hasn't gone through the 3 layers of plasterboard (which is incredibly unusual to be triple boarded by the way), then you won't have gone in deep enough to find any studs. Is this an internal wall or an outside wall? What's the overall thickness of the wall to the other side?

A strong magnet can find the screw heads that hold the plasterboard to the studs if there are studs.

Thanks for all who have commented and my apologies for being so vague. It's a 1980's 2 bed terrrace. The wall separate's the kitchen with the living room/diner.

The wall appears to be approximately just over 2 inches thick.

it might be insulating foam with plasterboard each side.

Three sheets of plasterboard would be 1” 1/2”, must be an error in your dimensions.
Knock a hole in it and post a pic, behind where a cupboard will be and you won’t even have to repair the damage.

Thanks Foxhole.

If you don't mind I won't do that but I will attempt to take a photo of where the double socket is to show the inner contents.

And no, my dimensions are not wrong.

Thanks to all. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back