Fixing leaking stopcock

Hope springs eternal :) And if it looks dodgy the water supply co. have to replace it ;)

Sponsored Links

I'm looking to stop my stopcock leaking. It's a steady seeping rather than a drip, but it's only going to get worse. My question is can I just turn off the stopcock and loosen the glandnut to see if I need to add some P.T.F.E. tape? You'll see from the attached where the water is coming from, but I wanted to check I could isolate the water supply by turning off the stopcock and then remove the glandnut to repair the P.T.F.E. tape or waher etc.

No need to turn the water off to re-pack the gland with ptfe.
Put a small container under the valve to catch a few drips.
It's not leaking from the stoptap body.
servotech,

Thank you to everyone who replied, I appreciate your help, advice and banter :eek:) I have a plumber coming to sort this as it's time for a new stopcock I think. I appreciate the good natured and helpful way you all use this forum; it's a welcoming and useful place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back