Fixing low water pressure on shared main.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Was hoping somebody could advise about low water pressure.
Our house is at the end of a run of 4 houses that was originally just one, and hence all share the same water main.
As a result, for example, if using the shower, and the 3 neighbours upstream run a tap each, then our shower becomes just a dribble at best.

I was told that a pump placed in line on the mains inlet pipe to the house would help pull the required water through the pipe and maintain pressure.
Is the true? And if so, what type/size of pump would be needed for 2 bathrooms and a downstairs toilet, plus kitchen sink, combi boiler and washing machine etc?

Also as noise would be an issue if a pump is heard kicking in every time the water is demanded, are there silent pump options available?

Many thanks for any help.
Paul

Sponsored Links
I think you mean one of these.

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/pumps/home-boost/

Will give you a max of 12lpm.

Not sure how noisy they are. But unless your water company will be willing to do some work. Then this is as good as you can get for boosting your incoming mains. Water regs will not allow you to boost incoming mains by any more than this.

You could fit an accumulator if the static pressure is OK.

Disadvantages are cost and space, completely silent though.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The accumulator seems like a perfect silent solution, but as you say Simond for one that can cater for an entire house (not just a combi), they're prohibitively expensive at upwards of £1000.

The pump idea seems far more acceptable on the pocket.
Having looked at the solution you suggested TCCHeating, it seems that some say it's very quiet and others say it's as noisy as a washing machine. Not sure if that a machine on a wash cycle or full speed spin though ;o)
I guess it's all relative to the background noise you're used to, but obviously too noisy and you'd not want to use any water if the rest of the house is asleep. And seeing I occasionally work shift hours that is very likely to happen.

Maybe I can find a soundproofed box, or construct an insulated cupboard to reduce the airborne and mechanical noise.

Thanks very much again chaps I'll look on a little further...

Sponsored Links
You need to speak to your water supplier first. Not sure u are allowed to pump a shared main.
Wether u like your neighbors or not you having a pump could effect their water supplies. Potentially even pull back water out of their houses

Cheers for the advice Gasservice1985. I did wonder about if it'd take water from the neighbours. One review on Amazon (for the pump suggested above) I saw was from a chap in the same 'end of a rank of 4 with shared main' situation. His similar concern over stealing water turned out to be unnecessary as his neighbours had noticed no drop in pressure.
This said, I also accept that not all 'similar' circumstances are identical.

Pump manufacturers do not take kindly to soundproofing applied without their permission or testing. Usually overheats pump leading to warranty claims.

Regarding the 12 l/m problem, pumping off a shared main may well cause problems, you could start drawing air in from other open outlets if the main is restricted.

The accumulator option is expensive, but (given the suitable static pressure is in the main) the best possible solution and no-one else notices.

Certainly, digging up the private road/access is the best option on paper; but the legal fees alone will buy a few accumulators.

Ok. I see. Seeing as the main comes from a side road and travels underneath the row of 4 houses to get here, digging a new specific main would be ridiculously expensive.
And if a pump can't be soundproofed reliably, or be trusted to steal other's pressure then it looks like I'm screwed, as I have neither the space nor the money for an accumulator of the size I'll need.

I'll just carry on as I am - hoping that I choose to shower or wash up when none of my neighbours are.

Thanks again all.

the new pipe need not go under the houses. It would most often go to the nearest pavement. Probably a trench, possibly a mole. If your house is a long way from the nearest road it could be awkward, but sooner or later the public main, and the service pipes to the houses, will all need to be replaced. Maybe at 50 years old, maybe at 100.

Very few water pipes are still in use at 500 or 1,000 years old, but it does happen.

Have you considered going back in time and having a loft tank?

1000 year old pipes! Wow. I did hear that some of Bath's sewage system is still using Roman routing but I thought that was just a local story.
As for the loft tank, that definitely is an option though sadly since doing a loft conversion, we no longer have a loft. Also, I'm a bit sketchy about using a loft tank again. I was always thinking I'm going to drink a spider at some point ;o)
Thanks loads for the suggestion though. If pressure gets worse I may be forced to reconsider previously discounted options.

A customer of mine has this issue that we are working on a solution for atm.

His main like yours is shared with 3 other properties.
His roof storage tanks will run dry if others in the terrace are using the main while he fills the bath or has a shower, although I imagine the Stuart turner monsoon pump has something to do with that.
It then air locks etc

I see. It seems it's not a terribly isolated problem. If you manage to find them a reasonable solution I'd like to hear how that goes.

I think we will be going for a new main.

This row of terraces faces the road which a main runs down.

Currently the main from the road is 1" black iron runs down the side of the terrace and along the back branching off and somewhere reducing to 1/2"to each property. He is the last.

We are looking at having a new main in and running through the house or running a trench behind the house and joining in just after the main stop tap that shuts everyone off. Not sure the others are gonna agree to it though.

I believe that the last bits of Roman water supply pipes in London were disconnected in the 1960's, and Hampton Court still has a private water supply to the Royal Apartments that was put in when the place was built. IIRC it is fed from a spring a few miles away, and there is a small water cabin in the grounds of a cottage where some trusted retainer used to look after it.

Parts of the old Roman Empire are still using their aqueducts and cisterns, and I heard that in Egypt, some of the supply system was built by Pharaohs, as much before the Romans as they are to us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back