Fixing lrge safety backed mirror tiles to scratch coat wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Warning: Newbie with a tricky one armed with photos. :LOL:

I have large mirrors that are bathroom ones (60 in total) they are 190 wide and 480 high and I was hoping to apply them to a single wall in a brick type pattern - but vertically.

Like this - although this is a small tile:

dhcthx.jpg

The difficulty is that I thought I was being clever getting bathroom tiles that are safety backed - but now I realise that mirror adhesive is not recommended because of the plastic backing. :oops:

To compound matters it is the only wall that the finished plaster came off when I removed the old tiles so it is a bare scratch coat. I was thinking if I tanked that that I could perhaps use silicone on the mirrors which I would be butting straight against each other.

The wall will only be subjected to condensation and is away from sources of water.

Any advice appreciated (or have I just wasted a lot of money on mirrors)?

My mirror tiles look like this:

14w6lqa.jpg

The wall surface looks like this:

BrownCoat.jpg

Thanks. Be gentle with me.

Sponsored Links
Should have said - the scratch coat (2nd coat) plaster wall is very sound indeed - it took me weeks to get the tiles off and they came off with the finish coat - so the brown coat is solid. I was thinking I could apply some of this to the entire surface of it:
BAWP1C.jpg

Having never used the BAL WP1 before I would assume the plaster would need primed.

Then when that was cured - I thought maybe we could mastic (silicone or adhesive as the mirror has a backing) to adhere them to the tanked wall - albeit a very rough surface.

Am I taking a risk? The wall isnt very high - around 2.1m - it is a small wet room but the wall will be on the dry side.

Sponsored Links
no he's not a mod but he does know what he is talking about, tbh i would go into a good tile shop (not one of the sheds) take a mirror with you & see what they recommend, the trouble is you have a rough wall very heavy mirrors (which would normally need an air flow to prevent them from tarnising (which is why you normally hang a mirror on the tiles rather than tiling it in), what ever you use you will only be sticking the plastic backing & nothing else so you will have to reley on the plastic not parting with the glass, i do quite alot of tiling for my customers but i've never been asked to tile with mirrors this big or heavy that's why i said i'm keeping out of it as i didn't want to give you incorrect advice.

no he's not a mod but he does know what he is talking about, tbh i would go into a good tile shop (not one of the sheds) take a mirror with you & see what they recommend, the trouble is you have a rough wall very heavy mirrors (which would normally need an air flow to prevent them from tarnising (which is why you normally hang a mirror on the tiles rather than tiling it in), what ever you use you will only be sticking the plastic backing & nothing else so you will have to reley on the plastic not parting with the glass, i do quite alot of tiling for my customers but i've never been asked to tile with mirrors this big or heavy that's why i said i'm keeping out of it as i didn't want to give you incorrect advice.

Thanks for the advice - was dreading the first post on this thread - but there is a glimmer of hopefor me - the plastic backing is on really soundly - it is fully adhered and TBH I think if you tried to take it off it would strip the mirroring.

at one stage I was considering dry lining the wall with dry wall adhesive and plasterboard - but it is such a small space every inch is precious.

I will speak to a tiling shop and perhaps a glazier and get advice as you suggest.

Cheers.

Can't advise on fixing them but setting mirrors so they give an even reflection is difficult and tolerances, if you wnat it to look right, are very tight - far tighter than normal plastering.

At least you have a chamfered edge which will hide some out of flatness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back