fixing outside light!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some time ago my outside light stopped working so after going through the usual bulb faff I realised it was something else.
It is wired through a switch inside the door which also switches on and off the hall light. The other side of the wall is another switch(in the kitchen) which just switches on and off the hall light. I have con checked the wires to the outside light and they are fine. I cannot get the damn thing to work no matter how I try and wire the back of the switch up. Please shed some "light" on my problem. thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to measure for voltage at the lampholder wires. If it is a ES holder sometimes over time the contacts can become pushed out of alignment and don't make a connection with the bulb even if volts are reaching them. Just a thought!

Yes I put a different bulb holder on couldn't get it to work. I'm sure its the way it's wired up or not as the case meaybe!

Maybe a better description, or possibly some photos would help - can't visualise your install too well from your previous description.

Sponsored Links
At the back of the light switch I have all the earth wires going to the earth stud. Wires from the hall light are red ( to com ) yellow (to L1) and blue (to L2). (The hall light works fine from both sides of the wall.)
Also at the back of the switch is the wires from the outside light red blue yellow and earth. The yellow is cut back to insulation both ends as if not used. The last two wires are a red and black wire which I have no idea what they are for. I ho[pe that is a better description!! If not I will try and get some photos of wiring.

Bruce01 said:
The last two wires are a red and black wire which I have no idea what they are for. I ho[pe that is a better description!! If not I will try and get some photos of wiring.

Were these not red and blue a few words ago, or is this yet another pair?

In total there are three red, two yellow, two blue and one black eight wires in total (not including earths) red yellow and blue out of two different cables and black and red out of the third cable

Do you get 240v AC measured with a multimeter across the red and black? I suspect this could be the supply wire for the outside light. You can see the 3c+earth at both ends, does the blue go to the N at the light and red to L? If my suspicions are correct, (leaving the hall light cable well alone) you need to connect the black to the blue in terminal block, red to common and the other red to L1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back