Fixing Oven hood into 1" Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed an Oven Hood into the wall above our hob.

I presumed the wall would be plasterboard and purchased some hollow wall anchors (http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixing/Fixings_9.jpg - middle one of the 3). But when I drilled into the wall, the plaster is c. 1.5"inches thick and would not take the anchors.

At the moment, the hood is attached to the wall using the supplied rawlplugs (similiar in appearance to this http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/ferblues/ferblues0810/ferblues081000028/3655278.jpg but c. 3cm in length). The unit is attached using 4 scews, which I have screwed tightly and the rawlplug doesn't slip when trying to tighten the screws - it seems like a tight fit at the moment.

What I need to know, is will this be sufficient or is the hood likely to come crashing down one day? And if it isn't sufficient what fixing shsould I be using given the plaster is so thick and I'm not sure what is behind that.

Cheers

Jon

Sponsored Links
Those fixings (are they about 25mm long?) may hold well enough in the plaster for now; the problem is that if as you say the plaster is about one and half inches thick, it could break out and the hood could fall. Bear in mind that if someone were to lean on the front edge of the hood they could apply quite a bit of leverage.

I suggest you need to try to fix into the substrate behind the plaster. Assuming that it's masonry, you could use a longer fixing such as a sleeve anchor.

Try drilling a deeper hole and note the resistance to the drill and the colour of the dust that comes out, or excavate a small area to investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back