Fixing a door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year !

So I knocked out the old door frame completely, and now have a bare jagged brick opening, the sides of which are neither vertical nor square. There's plaster on each side of the wall, so it's 135mm thick.

SWMBO (She who must be obeyed) has decreed "Absolutely NO more dust !" so I can't take a disc-cutter to it, nor even a hammer & chisel.

I've got two pieces of p.a.r. the right height, 135mm wide x 20mm thick, but (naturally) these are neither plane nor straight - they are slightly twisted and slightly curved.

How much does this matter ?

Should I -

a) render up the openings with mortar first, to get them vertical and square (and if so, what's the best way ?), and then fix the timber to that ?

Or
b) fix the timber to the brick with rawlplugs & screws and thin wedges, and then fill the gap with mortar ? Or with expanding foam ?

Or
c) something else entirely ?

Help !

Sponsored Links
It really does depend on how much they are out
But if you can get a good fixing, and you pack well, option b is by far the easiest.
Fill the gaps with expanding foam, cut it back when dry and then put a nice peice of trim over the edge of the frame and the foam -SWMBO will think it looks lovely.

Thank you !

(b) it is, then.

I had reckoned to put in screws on each side of the 135mm board, into the 100mm brick, i.e. screws say 60mm apart horizontally, and pairs say 18" vertically - 10 screws ? Ordinary Rawlplugs, or frame-fixings, i.e. where the plug goes through the timber ?

My "challenge" is that the jagged brickwork won't give a very even bedding for the wedges, which is why I was thinking of evening it up with mortar.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back