Fixing paint problems

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painting some woodwork at home and I've run into a couple of problems.

"Trying" to do things properly I sanded down the old paintwork and applied a coat of undercoat. So far so good.

When I was applying the first main coat of paint (Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood) I was finding that some areas were "dragging". It was like the paint was drying too quickly and going over the same area was moving small areas of dried paint around - not lumps, but like a layer of paint breaking up. I wasn't working THAT slowly that the paint should be drying completely. Trying to fix it was making things worse. In the end I needed to rub off the whole door frame before it dried and do it again.

I was dubious about a second coat but thought it was maybe a one-off. But NO.

It's not as bad this time but I've left it to dry this time as I didn't fancy doing it all AGAIN. I've now got a small area which I'd like to fix if I can. If it was behind the door I would leave it but it's right at eye level.

Would it be OK just to sand this bit down (it's about 1" x 3") and repaint it or would that look worse ? Also, I've now got some paint runs on the door - I didn't want to try to touch these while the paint was drying for the same reasons I've mentioned above. Would it look bad just sanding these parts down and repainting ? I think I'll get the same problems if I try another full coat.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
HI. This is a problem with water borne paints, they 'set' and lose a green edge very quickly. Make sure you stir well, pour some into a paint kettle, thin this with a little clean water so it goes a little sloppy (as apposed to thick cream) when you start try to do one full section at a time i,e. don't leave a panel half way through as the edge will set (but wont dry) and when you hit it again it curdles the set edge. another tip is make sure all heat is off while your painting with waterbased. Return heat as soon as appling is done.

Your complaint is called overbrushing. Thats what I was told by dulux about 20yrs ago :)

It's good to sand the ruff areas, the runs sometimes easier to carefully slice off with a stanley blade, then sand with fine paper.

Hi

Thanks for the info. I didn't deliberately buy a water based paint but when I discovered it was, I thought that would be good as it would be easier to clean up afterwards. Little did I know !!

What you say makes sense but I wasn't leaving any area for very long, literally a minute or two before going back to try to smooth out any runs. Then the partially dried layer would start breaking up and I was left with a mess.

Problem now is - apart from your tip of mixing in a bit of water, I don't know how I can do it differently next time as I didn't think I'd done anything wrong.

Wish I'd stuck to normal gloss !!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

What you say makes sense but I wasn't leaving any area for very long, literally a minute or two

Cheers
[/b

Actually jar, a minute is too long with waterbased, you need to almost lay off as youi go with this stuff, working quickly. Though I usually have this problem in the summer. You sure the heating is turned down/off ? ;)
If it's any consolation I and lots of other deccies like solvent better.
For future ref; satinwood is self undercoating i.e you dont need to use an undercoat on previously painted wood just use two coats of satinwood. Unlesss there is a drastic colour change or wood is in bad nick.

good luck..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back