Fixing picture rail to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

First timer on here and first timer DIY-er so be gentle :)

Starting to fix picture rails to newly plastered walls in Victorian terrace. Walls are slightly wavy so first attempt with No Nails failed and the rail fell off

What would you suggest? Nail gun - if so, what length nails? Or screws as I've seen mentioned a few times in other threads? If screws, are you drilling the rail and wall, plug in wall then screw together?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
When I fitted my picture rail I used a combination of no more nails and a couple of screws here and there. Screws were there for peace of mind since pictures can be heavy.

(Whenever no more nail fails, I swap to expanding foam, though obviously you need to hold the object in place while it dries. But if the project needs screws anyway then no problem.)

Or screws as I've seen mentioned a few times in other threads? If screws, are you drilling the rail and wall, plug in wall then screw together?
Yes exactly, then cover the heads with filler.

picturerail.jpg

Great! Thank you

Stupid question, but if using foam and screws, are you drilling hole in rail & wall first, plug in wall, foam on back of rail, hold, then screw through rail into wall?

You're not sticking it with foam, then just screwing into wall? With no plug?

Sponsored Links
...and if you do use foam, it's best to use the low expansion, adhesive kind - such as Instastick or equivalent.
Or else you could be left with an awful lot of mess to clean up!

...and if you do use foam, it's best to use the low expansion, adhesive kind - such as Instastick or equivalent.
Or else you could be left with an awful lot of mess to clean up!
That’s useful thank you. Such as Dow Insta Stik expanding foam from SF?

I was looking at Soudal adhesive foam - too expandy?

I was looking at Soudal adhesive foam - too expandy?
I'm afraid I'm not sure. It is listed as adhesive foam - so I assume it should be ok.
I have used their plasterboard adhesive foam, and it really is great stuff. I far prefer using it to Dow Insta Stik and it is definitely low-expansion :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back