Fixing a picture rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im after some advice on fixing a picture rail

Im in the process of renovating a victorian terrace property and want to replace original features, Ive sourced a very nice picture rail but dont know what method of fixing to use

1. Do i just use a spirit level to determine the level of the picture rail or should i take into acount floors and ceilings?

2. When fixing should i start with the longest wall, or in a corner, or at the start of the run by the bay window?

3. Should i use no more nails? or would i be better screwing or both? its into masonary walls could i use nails or would that not work?

Thanks in advance for the help, feel free to add any other considerations you think i should have made

Andy

Sponsored Links
not advisable to use a spirit level

aim for a point roughly 1/5th the height of the room possibly lining up with the door or window frame top

now assuming the floors and ceilings are equaly uneven and parralell measure parralel lines to either
if yor window or door frames are uneven and not parralell you may have to make small adjustments in height to keep things looking right

no nails with temporary pinning will be fine if its only decorative

nails /screws /filler or plugs if its load bearing screws and plugs for varnished finnish

get your picture rail from a wood yard better quality longer lengths [around 5.2m]

when fitting start from the longest cut length and work down then any mistakes you can use on the next longest length required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back