Hanging Picture Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're 70% through renovating our 1920's semi and the latest room to be done is the living room. Like most properties this age, the house had picture rails throughout. Also, like most properties this age, they've been removed over the years and everytime we've stripped the wall paper, there's been a clear line where the picture rail once lived.

Anyway, I've decided I'd like to re-introduce the picture rail to this room. I've measured up and bought the rail. I've also gone around the walls with a long spirit level and marked out where it should hang. Problem is, on closer inspection I've realised that neither the distance to the floor, nor the distance to the original coving from my line is equal on any wall.

This leaves me with the question - how should I proceed? Should I use the level? Or should I measure down from the coving or up from the floor?

Finally, what is the best way of hanging the rail? It's a 2inch "lambs tongue" style rail. I was thinking of using Pink adhesive with a screw here and there depending on how uneven the walls are..

Many Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Put up level , I prefer the solvent free adhesive, you could just pin any stubborn sections leaving the pin proud and remove once glue has cured.

Try it out with some tape on the wall and and get the missus in to have a look. A push here and a pull there sorts it out. You cant beat standing back and knocking heads on these problems. What looks right is right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back