Can picture rail be produced from a template?

combi machines have always struck me as well dangerous, and time consuming unless your using them every day.
the guy in the video looks competent but he uses his machine without knocking up false fences and custom made boxing-in, so that no matter what happens the working tool has nowhere to fly off to - its boxed in.

Sponsored Links
i know someone who restored his historic house and uses an old Stanley Combination Plane. It seems slow to me. He says nobody uses them any more.

it all depends on how much stuff you want running off - the idea of doing a whole historic house of mouldings would be ridiculous. Even using say a 1/2" DeWalt for any large quantity wouldn't pay.

Sponsored Links
A set of profile ground cutters and limiters for a picture rail would cost around £100
The set up cost for a short run might be £50

So for enough to do a room as the OP wants might be £200

Joinery shops dont grind cutters any more, they just email off a drawing and get a company to grind a set on a CNC grinder.

A spindle moulder is a pretty standard machine in most joinery shops. I would say these days they are no more or less dangerous than any joinery machine.

CNC equipment is pretty common, especially for stairs or window manufacture, although a moulding would need to be run on a spindle moulder.

The youtube clip of the old felder shows a perfectly safe machine set up by a muppet with no guarding......rather typical of youtube vids from over the pond

Is getting a custom made profile cutter made expensive?
Yes (typically £70 to £100, based on current prices). Partly because it's a set (two profile cutters, two limiters)

its simple enough to grind the profile - and its circular cutting allowance when its used in a spindle.
steel, cutter blanks are available.
but the old Irwin(?) metal moulder planes are best for mixing and matching with their supplied custom cutters to achieve a near enough profile.
likewise you can router just about anything nowadays.
Irwin (or at least the original Irwin firm) never made planes at all - they were an auger bit manufacturer. Do you perhaps mean Record who made a copy of the Stanley 45 called a 405 multiplane? They were taken over by Irwin's parent firm in the 1990s, but by that time the 405 was long gone from the catalogue. The Stanley 45 was dropped from production in the early 1960s (?) whilst the Record survived until the 1970s. They were/are dreadful things to use, even for an experienced hand tool bench hand, and totally unusable for the vast majority of DIYers, I'd say. A pig to sharpen/hone, too. Which is probably why so many of them coming up at auction are complete and almost unused.

i know someone who restored his historic house and uses an old Stanley Combination Plane. It seems slow to me. He says nobody uses them any more.
I'm not surprised..... (see above). They were awkward and heavy to use and very hard work for anything, so small wonder that anyone who had a set of rounds, hollows and beaders would use those instead of a multiplane back in the day.

as far as i know even large joinery shops dont use s/m's anymore.
???

IIRC I have done short run reproduction of Victorian mouldings a few times over the years for repairs using a router, round-over bits, core box bits, rebate bits, etc and also a block plane, spokeshave (optional) and shaped sanding blocks (this BTW on listed buildings where the Conservation Officer was keeping a beady eye on things). The problem is that it becomes really tedious to run 40 or 50 feet that way..... The fact is it's often far easier and cheaper to find a near match moulding (or even two or more which can be combined to make one) and use that instead of getting an exact match

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever the make, my old plane was stolen back in the day by a guy who i'd taken a chance on, and given a start to.
he stole tools and then disappeared.

i've already dealt with my claim about s/m's in big shops in post #15.

whatever the make, my old plane was stolen back in the day by a guy who i'd taken a chance on, and given a start to.
he stole tools and then disappeared

Its no surprise people get more cynical as they get older.........too much experience of stuff like this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back