removing a picture rail 'cleanly'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a picture rail that I wish to remove. I am afraid that I might rip some of the plaster off with it! is there a tried and tested way in which I can remove the rail causing a minimum of disruption to the wall.

With thanks

'handy' Horice

Sponsored Links
Well the chances are you will pull plaster off. But its not hard to fill the holes, you will have to fill where the nails were..Do it

Hi diyisfun thanks for the er encouragement. Hope to hear from anyone interested in damage limitation with a tip or two.

Kind regards

Horice

horice said:
Hi diyisfun thanks for the er encouragement. Hope to hear from anyone interested in damage limitation with a tip or two.

Kind regards

Horice

You have already had it, it depends on how it was fixed

Sponsored Links
Sorry there arent any tips. Well mind the TV, cover the carpet & furniture.
But I would call that common sence.

Hello All,

Okay cool, I'll have to lever it off, I'm not sure how it was fixed but might look for any concealed screws to start.

Like the idea of putting a plank behind the crow bar as well. :LOL:

with thanks

Horice.

My father used to split picture rail with an old wood chisel, then carefully remove the cut nails, usuallly by shearing them off by twisting in a claw hammer. He claimed this damaged the plaster less.

It may well damage the plaster less, but if you have to fill a hole, does it matter if its 2" or 3" ?

JohnArnoldBrown said:
My father used to split picture rail with an old wood chisel, then carefully remove the cut nails, usuallly by shearing them off by twisting in a claw hammer. He claimed this damaged the plaster less.

I've used that method, had forgotten, but it is, i think, the best way of taking old pieces of wood off walls, especially if they have been fastened with cut nails.

I agree, the best way of getting it off is to split it & pull the nails.

Also - in a lot of older houses the rail was fixed before the wall was plastered (can't think why) so when you take it off, you'll probably get the plaster above not being flush with the plaster below... if you understand me. Then you'll have a LOT of filling (=replastering) to do. If you've got that arrangement, you'll never hide the difference in the surface levels. Best plan would be to cover it with picture rail...

Diyisfun said:
It may well damage the plaster less, but if you have to fill a hole, does it matter if its 2" or 3" ?
Yes, of course it does.
If I do a job for somebody, does it matter if I earn £20 or £30 an hour?
Yes, of course it does!

JohnArnoldBrown

Yes, of course it does.
If I do a job for somebody, does it matter if I earn £20 or £30 an hour?
Yes, of course it does!
Your cost is in labour, (material cost may be +30% but thats best part of F all) get it done the quickest way, ie pull it off 3" hole will take you no longer to fill that a 2" hole.

But if the difference were 2" to 1' then I agree with you.

Hello,

Thank you all for your advice. I had been looking on the site regarding
the issue of removing a picture rail unable to find one. The info you have all supplied has certainly helped me and will be available for others to use at will. :p

Cheers

Handy Horice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back