Fixing Real Wood floors - PortaNailer vs Nail Gun Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've gained a lot of experience and tip from these forums and really value all the comments and discussions.

Finally, I have a question I can't find covered in the archives. I am laying a Real Wood floor (Maple) onto ply wood. The wood is T&G and needs to be nailed using secret nails. The area I am covering is approx 30m squared and includes a corridor 1.32m wide leading into a larger area.

Initially I wanted to use a nailing gun, but I have read the the PortaNailer is a much better option and I can hire one for about £44 for a week (http://www.hss.com/g/52510/Floor-Nailer-Manual.html). I am unsure how effective this will be next to walls as it looks quite a cumbersome contraption for awkward areas.

Any advice or thoughts on the PortaNailer or alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks
R

Sponsored Links
A nail gun is no good, you need to use the proper tools.

Ross - the floor nailer you highlighted is the beast to use BUT see if you can get an air floor nailer - it's just like the manual one but is air assisted. The air drives the nail in, the mallet has 2 functions when it strikes the nailer: it 'bumps' the floorboards together and it triggers the nailing action. You'll need to hire a compressor for this tackle & whilst you're down at the hire shop get an edging nailer (same idea as the manual nailer but its action is vertical) as you'll not be able to use the (angled) nailer in a corner or confined space. Don't forget to hire a couple of flooring clamps to help push those odd awkward boards together.

Scoops is right - you need to "proper tools" to do this type of job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back