Fixing roof to concrete beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post here. Please be gentle :)

I have a 1970's double garage built with bolted together concrete panels (Marley type ?). It has a Steel girder running down the centre of the garage , and concrete beams fixed across the garage to which a concrete corrugated roof is fixed with "J bolts".

The roof is past it , is flaking and has cracks so it is leaking in several places. I assume the roof has asbestos content so am trying to find a way to fix the roof without major expense or hassle.

I was thinking about fixing wooden straps onto the existing roof, then nailing on new bitumen roofing panels. The problem with that approach is the existing "J bolts" aren't long enough to fix wood straps ! (the "J bolts" hook under the concrete beams and the roof is bolted down).

I thought I'd be able to buy longer "J bolts" but I can't find any to supply them. I thought about making some with threaded rods, but there must be a better way

Am I making my life difficult ?. Any better ideas (which won't cost a fortune disposing of old "asbestos" roofing ?

Sponsored Links
hi, i would drill timber purlins through the concrete beams then fix what ever you want on the timber purlins

hi, i would drill timber purlins through the concrete beams then fix what ever you want on the timber purlins

That would mean drilling through the roof sheets, and if they are asbestos that will release the fibres, if you are going to do that you may as well remove the existing roof sheets and replace them with a modern equivalent, if you cut the J bolts inside the garage you should be able to remove the sheets with minimal damage, so less chance of releasing any fibres.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/DoingWorkYourself/DG_10022562

http://www.envirobag.co.uk/hazardouswastebags.html

Hope this helps.

Nick.

Thanks guys. Removing the old roof without cutting or drilling wouldn't be a problem as the sheets will simply unbolt.

If I remove the roof I would have thought drilling the concrete beams would be hard work. I could just re-use the J bolts to bolt down wooden purlins.

Still looking for an easy way of not having to pay a fortune to disturb and dispose of the existing panels (I would remove them and ditch them no problems if there wasn't H&S complications so it's not the labour I am trying to avoid)

I'll have a proper look at the links Nick. Ta

Ian

Sponsored Links
You may find your local authority civic amenity site (=council tip) is able to take the asbestos cement, provided that you meet whatever requirements they have, such as double-bagging. To do this, of course, you will need to break up the sheets first.

You may also need to take it in several trips, because they can object of you take it all in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back