Replacing roof on prefabricated concrete garage... Not sure where to start...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our garage roof is asbestos sheets which we are having (professionally) removed. This will leave us with no roof and I'm not sure how to put one on.

The garage is prefabricated concrete with virtually flat roof (slight slope to the back I think)

IMG_20191128_153821413_HDR.jpg

Our previous garage (for which I replaced the roof) had timber joists/beams but this one is 100% concrete.

I'm not sure how to attach the roof (was planning bitumen sheets) to the concrete joists. The existing roof looks to use a hooked bolt system (see pic) but I'm not sure the bitumen is rigid enough for that, nor do I know what these fixings are called in order to buy some.

IMG_20191128_152516450.jpg
IMG_20191128_152334287.jpg

Any suggestions? It's worth saying I'm a reluctant amateur so looking to keep it simple.

Attachments

• IMG_20191128_152521907.jpg
    IMG_20191128_152521907.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20191128_152329385.jpg
    IMG_20191128_152329385.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 288
Sponsored Links
I guess the obvious replacement is onduline, although it will prob need extra support.

Ive heard mixed reports of onduline -regarding fading, sagging, leaking.

Alternatively box profile metal sheeting would be easy to fit and long lasting, however it is prone to some condensation.

Sponsored Links
You could install a few timber joists and then sheet osb which gives more options to finish .

Thanks all. Tempted by the cement just cause it feels like for like but I'll have a quick investigate of them all.

I would go with either the metal sheet as already mentioned
or put some timber joists and osb deck and torch on felt.
both should outlast other options and easy enough to carry out

Thanks all. Tempted by the cement just cause it feels like for like but I'll have a quick investigate of them all.

I believe the cement boards are dearer than Onduljne but more rigid and less likely to leak.

Timber joists, Osb and Epdm is a very good option too, but bound to be dearer.

If you are prepared to add timber joists and decking it is a different kettle of fish and various options available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back