Fixing rope to sash window frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am repairing my 100 year old sash windows. Each frame has a rope which runs over a pulley and is tied to a counterbalance weight. This rope needs to be attached to the side of the window frame. Most of them have roofing nails hammered through the rope and into the wooden frame. This doesn't seem very scientific.
I note one frame had a clamp which could be crimped round about three inches of the rope and the end screwed into the frame. This looks a better way to do it. I have been unable to find a supplier of these on the internet, and maybe they are not in production any more. Anybody know a source, or can suggest an alternative? Thanks

Sponsored Links
it may not be sceintific but thats how theyve been secured for the last couple of hundred years, because its simple and it works.

you could use 20mm screws, the clamp systems would require chiseling & screwing in i would expect costing you time and money.

Thanks. The windows have a groove to take the rope and the clamp. Trouble is who produces the clamp. So the nail through the rope it is....

Sponsored Links
rounded staples are better than nails as they don't pierce the cord,but clamp it. You need a few.

Thanks JohnD

I actually found what I was looking for via my window cleaner. A zinc plated cord grip, 47p each and the store is only a mile from my house.
The big advanatage with this is you put a screw into the frame, and the grip onto the rope which is attached to the counterbalance. You then pull the grip down towards the frame which lifts the weight, but it is easy to clip the grip onto the screw. No hammering while trying to hold a tensioned rope.

www.caldwellwright.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back