Fixing RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We need to fix a steel/rsj across a room to support the wooden ibeams running perpendicular. Problem is that one side of the room is ok (blockwork) but the other side is a stud wall. What are the rules/guidance for fixing to a stud wall, or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Every time I read 'RSJ' in a post, I'll ask, is there is a SE involved?

Generally speaking, a stud wall isn't load bearing and you will need some re-enforcing. This will possibly be in the form of a block pillar, or a second RSJ spanning the length of stud wall and properly supported at either end.

You're post doesn't contain any details on spans, steel sizes, application or even the reason for doing it. All these will change the options.

Fubar.

Hi,

The width span is just over 3 meters where we need the RSJ. It will support wooden ibeam joists (ply with timber at each end) which support the upper floor of the house (but not the only support). It is replacing a block wall which was supporting the ibeam joists in the centre of their length span of 5.5m.

The rsj will be a four inch.

does that help?

Thanks.

Gut feeling off of that is that you'll need a pillar installed to take the load. Ensuring load is transferred to the ground in a suitable manner.

On consideration of the risks that could be involved with a floor / ceiling combo. I strongly recommend a structural engineer be involved to make a final decision.

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing intrinsically wrong in supporting a steel beam off studwork.

But it depends on the load carried, the detail of the stud wall (height, top- and bottom restraint, size and spacing of studs, grade of timber, presence or absence of noggins etc) and also the support to the stud wall itself.

As per the others, you need to engage an SE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back