Fixing Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fix a 1200x900 Stone Resin Tray in a first floor Bathroom. It states on the tray that this should be bedded on a sand & cement mix- but as this is on the 1st floor it would be on Floorboards rather than an existing concrete floor. What if I was to fix this with Gripfill - its so Bloody Heavy I cant see it moving!

Sponsored Links
i take it your tiling the floor.
if its on standard 4" floorboards etc it needs to be ply lined first

Its not to hold it in place really, More to level the tray and ensure any wee holes between the tray and floor are filled in . When you drop the shampoo bottle it should prevent the tray cracking.
it does happen have replaced a few that could probably have been ok if this had been done,Also the more larger of us putting a load of weight on it, or double showering (to save energy).

i'm not planning to tile the floor-we like the warmth of carpet. The underside if the tray is Flat apart from the returns at the edge which are hollow. It appears to be good quality (Merlyn) and is probably 3/4 inch ( (18mm) thick. So do you still feel that it needs to be on ply and cement-i'd like to get it right first time for obvious reasons!

Sponsored Links
Hi pete,

Its all to do with restricting movement of the tray.

If you just place it directly onto the floorboards they COULD move under the tray when your in it, either breaking the tray or the silicon seal, which would lead to water getting behine the tray.

Always best to follow the manufactuers instructions, so if you have any future problems you can always go back to them.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back