Fixing some boxwork to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for looking. :)

I'm going to box approximately 3m of flat ducting channel I have installed flush against a wall where it meets the ceiling. It just so happens that the dimensions of it are such that 15cm skirting seems ideal for the job, and I can get it quite cheap locally. I'll be using the full 15cm width for the vertical, and 12cm of it horizontally.

I'm planning on using 75mm corner braces (I have twenty spares lying around) spread evenly to attach the horizontal section to the wall, then screwing the vertical section at the bottom into the horizontal, having put in wood glue for added strength.

I've got three questions:

1. Do you foresee any problems with using skirting, i.e. is it too heavy for this job? I personally think it's okay, but would appreciate second/third opinions.

2. Are corner braces well suited to the task? Are there any better ways of fixing it? (I don't want to do anything involving breaking into the wall, because I've got whitewashed new plaster, and don't want the hassle of making good.)

3. With this plan, will the weight of the vertical section of the box be sufficiently supported?

Cheers! :D

PS: Just had an idea as I finished my post...I could use a few of the corner braces inside the box too, to strengthen the bond between the two sections.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back