Vertical wood cladding on a concave garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brick garden wall (7ft high) which has a gentle curve to it (concave) and I’d like to clad a section of it (3m long) using scaffold boards (6ft ones).

Original plan for was for the cladding to be horizontal but that was before I realised the wall curved at that point. Holding a batten across the wall it comes an inch or two away from the wall at the apex of the curve. So I’m thinking now I will vertically panel it instead, as the panels can follow the curve fairly well as it’s not too severe a curve. Question though is how to fit battens for that arrangement? Is it as simple as fixing a single vertical batten for each plank/panel?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Roofing battens horizontally, well fixed it will curve enough around your wall.Or pack out the concave area to give you a flat finsih.

Kerf the back of the boards and they will bend around the curve
Kerf scaffold boards lengthways and they are highly likely to split. Think he wants a straight wall of boards .Hasn’t really explained why he wants to follow the curve.

Sponsored Links
Kerf scaffold boards lengthways and they are highly likely to split. Think he wants a straight wall of boards .Hasn’t really explained why he wants to follow the curve.
He wanted horizontal, that's why I quoted it, doo could kerf the boards

He wanted horizontal, that's why I quoted it, doo could kerf the boards
Horizontal would not require kerf as the boards would span the curve and could be packed out behind .He is asking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
He's throwing a curve ball

Does the OP want curved cladding to clad a curved wall with straight cladding or straight cladding to clad a curved wall with curved cladding? o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back